The Expanding Your Horizons (EYH) conference is run entirely by volunteers and we welcome new faces! Please contact Heather Daniels or the appropriate person indicated if you are interested in helping out in one of the following ways:
If you are a woman, female-identifying or non-binary working professional or graduate student in the Madison area and are in a field that fits in our career areas (biology and life sciences, computers in science, engineering science, environmental science, health and medicine, math or physical sciences), you can volunteer to lead one or more career sessions.
|◊ Career sessions are 50 minutes long.|
|◊ The sessions are offered at three times during the day of the conference.|
|◊ Each session will have between 12 -15 girls in attendance.|
|◊ The Presenter opens by sharing information about her background and career.|
|◊ The Presenter then leads the girls in an activity that demonstrates some skill/task either directly from her job or from her education for that job.|
|◊ Career sessions are held on the UW campus at Union South and at workplaces within a 15-minute drive of the UW.|
Ways to Participate
If you are a female, female-identifying or non-binary college undergraduate (junior or senior) studying math, science, engineering, or education, you can volunteer to be a Group or Science Activity leader at the conference.
- Work in pairs with a group of 10-12 middle school girls
- Spend the entire conference day with their group
- Make sure their group gets to each activity in a timely way
- Leads the getting acquainted activities
- Helps their group with the “Science in Action” activity
- MOST IMPORTANTLY…they serve as role models for their groups by sharing their experiences in and goals for math/science education and careers.
Science Activity Leaders
- Prepare for and conduct the Science Activity at the end of the EYH conference.
- Involves organizing the materials into packages
- Setting up the activity area
- Leading the activity (e.g. give clear directions, run the trials, record the scores, award prizes).
The Expanding Your Horizons conference could not take place without financial and in-kind contributions from our sponsors. The minimal registration fee only covers about half of the cost of running the conference and therefore we must rely on the generosity of others to make EYH possible.
If you are interested in making a contribution to EYH, please contact Sarah Perdue at firstname.lastname@example.org